Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cleanse Day 7- seriously, can one eat too much Quinoa?!?

Yes, I seem to have a Quinoa habit!  It is so good though:)  And since I am a nerd, I am going to post info about why quinoa is so good for us...here is what wikipedia has to say:

Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (18%). Nutritional evaluations of quinoa indicate that it is a source of complete protein.[14][15] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration human occupied spaceflights.[16]

Today I made a delicious Quinoa dish- I will call it Pesto Parts Quinoa salad.  Cook one cup of Quinoa.  Then in a bowl mix up finely diced fresh spinach and basil, add chopped up walnuts, finely diced carrots, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.  When the quinoa is all cooked and fluffy, mix it in the bowl with the ingredients and enjoy!  It is delicious and tastes very much like pesto.  I had it with a slice of grilled lamb which was delicious and filling.

My green smoothie was delicious and filling this morning.  Went to work today feeling good and energized.  Not sure what I am going to do about dinner- will be out and about, so I may have to do another shake instead of soup.  We'll see!

Hope you enjoyed the video.  I know it was kind of cheesy, but good info too.  I will post more soon!
Enjoy your weekend!
-Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment