Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 1: Soup Making or Potions Class?


First of all, it was so great meeting all of you fellow cleansers today!  Besides our initial glitches with technology, I thought that today was amazing.  As one of you told me today, Dr. Junger is the 'real deal'.  I totally agree.  He is so honest, funny and intelligent, without being even the slightest bit salesman or higher than thou.  So glad that you all enjoyed the yoga and amazing food too!

So, I got home from the event all inspired to make soups!  Within 10 minutes of being home, I had two different green bubbling cauldrens on my stovetop.  My husband was looking on at my work with a supportive yet wary look.  I could just see his thoughts, "So I am trading in a nice big dinner for a thick green soup?!?"  One of the soups was the asparagus and white bean.  I did not have the fennel or the rice milk, but substituted celery and some coconut milk and it came out really good.  That is the one we had tonight for dinner.  The second soup was one I was just making up and it does taste that way!  Not bad, but not awesome.  I'll eat that one tomorrow:)  It was french lentils, sauteed onions and garlic, kale, chicken stock, salt, pepper and cumin, all blended together.  The reason it was only ok, was that the soup was a bit thin.  I usually add some potato to lentil soup, so I am at a bit of a loss as to a good substitution.  Any suggestions?  That being said, it is pretty tasty and I will happily have it tomorrow! 

So, one other thing was to get a base line weight check.  I am 144 pounds.  I have never dieted before and have never needed to.  As you know, I had twins 6 months ago, and I am very happy with my body.  That being said, I was 127 pounds when I first got pregnant and it will be nice to be back there eventually.  So, this is just part of the experiment- will I lose some weight on the cleanse.  It is not my goal, but would be a nice side-effect.  I don't own a scale and will only weigh myself again after the three weeks are over...nuf said!

A couple of things that I have noticed in my body.  I am feeling much more thirsty than usual....(take break for sip from water bottle)...ok I am back.  It was also very obvious this afternoon, that I did not have an energy crash like I usually do.  It was very noticable and actually even now at 8pm, I am feeling pretty good.  Sleepy, but not totally wiped out....this is very exciting.  We packed up the coffee maker and put it away, and the blender has taken its place on the counter.  I am really excited....day one is done and I am feeling really good!



2 comments:

  1. Great post! I am on day 2 of the cleanse (I did the elimination diet for 5 days prior). I made a wonderful lentil soup yesterday... Green lentils, carrot, celery, garlic, onion, chicken broth- I threw it all in a pot, boiled until lentils were done, let cool, then pureed in the blender. It was SO easy and yummy. Tonight I made butternut squash and pear soup- I roasted the squash then put it in the blender with 2 pears, chicken broth, and spices. Blend and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Krissy! That butternut squash soup sounds really good, I will definitely try it soon!

    ReplyDelete