Monday, April 30, 2012

Cleanse Day 2: Oh Green Smoothie how I love thee...

Seriously, thank you Allyson for the smoothie demo on Sunday...so helpful!  This morning my smoothie was delicious, and my husband and son loved it as well.  It was a huge bunch of chopped kale, one avacado, several scoops of the pea protein powder, chopped apple & pear, and some frozen mango and pinapple, plus the coconut milk beverage.  YUM!!  I felt full for quite awhile after that.  Then I had a nice warm green tea which was delicious.  About mid-morning I took out the pistachios and snacked out for a few minutes- felt good and held me over until lunch. 

For lunch I made a huge batch of quinoa with sauteed veggies and grilled chicken.  I made enough that this will be my lunch for tomorrow as well.  Dinner....well, it was that lentil soup I mentioned yesterday.  So, I spruced it up by putting in some cooked carrots and celery and blending.  It really did taste very good, but the color, oh that color looked somewhere between green and brown- I think puce might be an accurate description.  It looked very much like vomit- oh man- but I ate it anyway- and it did taste good with my eyes closed!  I think red lentils are much better for soups than the french ones...oh well:)

As far as how I felt today, to be honest, not that great.  I felt tired, a little headachy and nauseas all day.  It is very challenging caring for my three children and adjusting to the new ways of cooking and preparing foods.  It is a little time consuming to get used to all of the extra food prep, but I am sure I will adjust.  

Oh, I have had a few requests for the Cream of Asparagus and White Bean Soup, so here it is...enjoy:

12 stalks of trimmed asparagus (4-6 more if they are thin stalks)
1/4 onion cut into wedges or slices
1/2 cup chopped fennel
2 cloves garlic
1 cup rice milk, plus more to thin soup
2/3 can white beans such as cannelini (Eden Organic cans are BPA free)
olive oil
1/4 lemon
black pepper, sea salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper

  • preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • place asparagus, onion, fennel and garlic on cookie sheet and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper
  • bake for 15-20 minutes
  • put all above ingredients in blender (or use immersion blender) with rice milk and white beans and blend until desired thickness
  • add juice from lemon, sea salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
  • warm on stove if necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment