Tuesday, May 1, 2012

clean cleanse day 3: i heart lentils...


I think that lentils may be in competition with kale for my most obsessed about healthy food.  They are so delicious!  Here is what wikipedia has to say about the nutrition of lentils:


With about 30% of their calories from protein, lentils have the third-highest level of protein, by weight, of any legume or nut, after soybeans and hemp.[3] Proteins include the essential amino acids isoleucine and lysine, and lentils are an essential source of inexpensive protein in many parts of the world, especially in West Asia and the Indian subcontinent, which have large vegetarian populations.[4] Lentils are deficient in two essential amino acids, methionineand cysteine.[5] However, sprouted lentils contain sufficient levels of all essential amino acids, including methionine and cysteine.[6]
Lentils also contain dietary fiberfolatevitamin B1, and minerals. Red (or pink) lentils contain a lower concentration of fiber than green lentils (11% rather than 31%).[7] Healthmagazine has selected lentils as one of the five healthiest foods.[8] Lentils are often mixed with grains, such as rice, which results in a complete protein dish.
Lentils also have antinutritional factors, such as trypsin inhibitors and relatively high phytatecontent. Trypsin is an enzyme involved in digestion, and phytates reduce the bioavailability of dietary minerals.[9] The phytates can be reduced by soaking the lentils in warm water overnight.
Lentils are a good source of iron.[10


So today I had started the day with another delicious green smoothie.  This one had almond milk instead of coconut, but was equally awesome.  Then my cup of green tea and my belly was very happy.  I am feeling less hungry than I thought I would.  I made an absolutely delicious soup....modified from one I saw on the internet.
It was a red lentil and broccoli soup.  I sauteed 1/2 diced onion with 1 cup of RED lentils, then added salt and finely diced broccoli- covered with water and let cook for about 20 minutes.  I then added cumin, lemon, more salt and pepper, a little almond milk and pureed with my immersion blender.  It came out so delicious.  The full recipe had more indian spices and now I am extremely excited about going to an asian market soon for some good spices- black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, and a great spice mixture called garam masala.  I spent 6 months living in India several years ago, and never once did I get sick of their food...here is a link to the full recipe that inspired me today. 


So, my headaches have lifted and I am definitely noticing more consistent energy.  Still tired in the morning, but not having an energy crash in the afternoon.  I still have a lingering cold, and I am hoping for that to be gone soon.  Overall I am starting to feel very good, and definitely better overall.  This is such a great way to eat.  I love the smoothies, and I really love shifting my bigger meal to mid-day and eating a soup at night.  It is amazing that with all of these dietary restrictions, I am feeling even more inspired by cooking.  A whole foods diet just feels good.  I am not missing bread, dairy or red meat at all!!
Hope you are all doing well!
More tomorrow...
-Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment