Monday, May 7, 2012

Cleanse days 8 & 9: Temptation is everywhere!


Wow, just two days and i feel like we haven't connected in so long!  Hope all is going well with you and with the cleanse.  It is great, but definitely not easy!  On sunday we had a 3 year olds birthday party for one of Zach's friends, and man, the temptation was everywhere.  My husband dubbed the sweets table, The Table of Torture!  It was so hard to resist, the cupcakes, pretzels, rice crispy treats!!  Ugh...but you will be proud to know that I did manage to resist. Then my husband gets an ice coffee, just to torture me more!! 

Today has been a good day.  Lots of sunshine and my health has returned.  Also without running the risk of giving TMI, I had a HUGE poop today.  And I mean, lost three pounds big:)  (didn't weigh myself- just guessing!).  I have been pretty regular all along, but this one seemed to be an extra 'detox' poop!

 I was playing restaurant with Zachary today and he said he was making me a smoothie.  I said, "what is in it?"  He said, "avacado, broccoli and salad!"  Guess that's what he thinks are in my morning shakes- pretty funny!  Speaking of smoothies, I have been continuing on with my morning green smoothies, but increasing the green quotient, as you can clearly see.  My smoothie this morning was, local spinach, kale, avacado, apple, frozen mango, chia seed, protein powder, ground flax and coconut milk.  Really delicious!

Yesterday I made a very good rice biryani dish.  I used the brown basmati and wild rice blend from whole foods.  Then I sauteed up green beans, cauliflower, frozen peas, onion, garlic and used the indian 'garam masala' blend and salt.  Mixed the rice and veggies together and it was delicious.  Amazingly, even my three year old ate some.  Todays lunch was kind of boring.  I cooked a whole roasted chicken, had a baked sweet potato (with nothing on it) and steamed broccoli.  My time is so limited, and I also need to cook 'family friendly' clean meals so that the rest of the family can enjoy it.

So, continuing with my little bits of educational information, and since I have been eating so many sweet potatoes, I am going to post some nutritional info about the sweet potato here.  I was glad to see how good it is for us!  Enjoy...

Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink, yellow and green varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato.Sweet potato varieties with dark orange flesh have more beta carotene than those with light-colored flesh, and their increased cultivation is being encouraged in Africa, where vitamin A deficiency is a serious health problem. Despite the name "sweet", it may be a beneficial food for diabetics, as preliminary studies on animals have revealed it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and to lower insulin resistance.[29]








No comments:

Post a Comment