Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Clean Cleanse: Day 10- cooking Kitchari and resisting coffee!

Ok, first I will whine and get that part over with.  I really wanted coffee today!  The weather was cold and dreary, I have three kids to take care of and coffee would have been so, so nice!  I had mentally talked myself into it, and was set on going to get some, but I texted Allyson and she talked me down!  So, instead I took a shower and went to starbucks for some Zen Tea (green tea and peppermint).  It was very good, but definitely not the same!  Ok, rant is over:)

Now to the good stuff.  Please do something wonderful for yourself and make some kitchari, it is warming, filling, delicious, healthy and so easy to make.  I absolutely LOVED it, and am so glad that I made a double batch so that I have more for tomorrow.  Here is the recipe below.


Kitchari

Ingredients (Makes 4–6 Serving):
4 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground asafetida
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 black cardamom pods
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup split mung beans
1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
Salt to taste
About 5 cups water

Directions:
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottom saucepan casserole over medium heat. Add asafetida and cumin seeds.
As soon as you smell the fragrance of the cumin seeds, add the onion and ginger. Stir-fry until onion begins to turn transparent.
Add cardamom pods, garlic, garam masala, and turmeric. Stir and fry for 1 minute.
Add the mung beans and rice. Sauté for about a minute or two.
Add salt and water, and bring to a boil.
Cover, turn heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. Uncover and check to ensure that the rice and mung beans are thoroughly cooked, and serve.

I was really happy to find the split moong dal (yellow) at whole foods and also the whole cumin seed.  I did not have asafetida or turmeric- but will definitely be getting some soon!  Here is the bag of dal you should be looking for (I am sure they have it cheaper at asian markets, but my time is so limited, I was happy it was at Whole Foods)

Oh, and definitely cook it with coconut oil instead of olive oil- that made it so delicious!

Can't believe we are half way through....or to say it glass half empty...WE ARE ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH?!?  Hahahaha....but seriously, I am feeling pretty good, and feeling really good about this process overall- hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment