Saturday, May 12, 2012

cleanse day 13 & 14

I can't believe we are two weeks into the cleanse!  I am wondering how people are doing.  I have been feeling much better- more energy and my skin looks very clear.  I must say though, I have been VERY hungry lately.  Had a moment yesterday where I really munched out on guacamole and rice crackers- it was hard to stop!  This morning I did not finish my whole smoothie, because I am getting a little tired of them.  Time for a new recipe!

  Speaking of recipes, I made a delicious butternut squash puree last night.  I sliced the squash in half, cleaned them and baked them face down at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then blended it with sauteed onions and garlic, veggie stock and almond milk.  It was very, very tasty.  But then this morning I came across a recipe that also includes coconut milk and leeks instead of onions.  It sounds even better, so I wanted to share it with you all.



Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash
2-3 leeks
About 6 cups of chicken stock
1/2 a can or less coconut milk
salt
olive oil

Peel and cut the squash into inch pieces.  Put on a cookie tray and sprinkle olive oil and salt on them.  Bake them at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes (til tender).
Wash and cut the leeks and saute them in olive oil in the bottom a the saucepan you plan to make the soup in.
When the leeks are soft put the tender squash in the saucepan and pour in enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables.  When the chicken stock is hot use a hand blender (or pour the soup in batches into a regular blender) and puree the vegetables and stock.  When the soup is pureed add the coconut milk (this can be omitted the soup is creamy without).
Mix everything together and reheat if needed.
You can adjust the liquid to make the soup thicker or thinner.
This is a really hearty soup.

So, I will write more on Monday!  Since tomorrow is mother's day, I think I will take this one off of my 'to do' list!
Enjoy this beautiful weather,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment