Thursday, April 26, 2012

Food Panic and the Elimination Diet



I have a self diagnosed case of 'food panic' which my husband will attest to...(we can't share popcorn during a movie because I think he eats it too fast...which he does!) So doing a cleanse where my diet is dramatically changed is a little uncomfortable for me.  I am clinging to my food lists and buying as many approved snacks as I can find to keep by my side so that I have them in case I am hungry!  But actually it has been a really good practice in changing the way I snack.  Fresh veggies, apples with almond butter, rice crackers and hummus or black bean dip....all such awesome snacks!  Also there is a really great bar called Lara Bar and they have a cashew cookie flavor which is delicious- just dates and cashews...


Today is day two of my elimination diet (posted below for those who are interested) which also means my second day without coffee...and the STRONG cup of green tea with lemon has actually been great so far.  Not surprisingly, after all of my travels and unhealthy eating over the past week, I caught a bad cold yesterday.  I really felt awful and thought, "oh no, this one could last awhile!"  But, I am actually feeling a million times better today.  Maybe it's the diet or the fact that I went to bed at 7:30 last night, but I'm feeling much healthier today!  


I went to Trader Joe's today with my food list, and I got my nuts and rice cakes etc...but I left there starving after looking at all of the GOOD stuff that I wasn't allowed to buy!!  It is actually amazing how much sugar there is in everything.  Most of the dried fruits had added sugar as well as most of the frozen stir fried veggies which I found surprising.  


I then went to Whole Foods and bought a ridiculous amount of supplements.  Here is a list of what I bought:

  1. Probiotic- Ultimate Flora- 15 billion per capsule!!  holy crap...(pun intended?)
  2. Flax Oil- 365 Brand
  3. Cleansing Fiber Blend- 365 Brand
  4. Oregano Oil- Herb Pharm Tincture
  5. Milk Thistle Liver Cleanse- 365 Brand
  6. Chia Seed- to put in smoothies- good fiber

ok, bye for now!  happy cleansing:)


 ELIMINATION DIET

                                                                 INCLUDE 
Fruits & Vegetables
Unsweetened fresh or frozen whole fruits,
fresh squeezed fruit juices,
 sea vegetables (seaweeds), avocados, olives, and raw, steamed, sauteed, juiced, or roasted vegetables

Dairy Substitutes
Hemp, rice, and nut milks (such as almond, hazelnut, walnut, etc.) and coconut milk, coconut oil/butter

Non-Gluten Grains & Starch
Brown, red, black and wild rice, millet, amaranth, teff, tapioca, buckwheat, quinoa

Animal Protein
Fresh or water packed cold water fish, (trout, salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel, sardines, pike, kippers), wild game (rabbit, pheasant, bison, venison, elk, etc.), lamb, duck, organic chicken and turkey

Vegetable Protein
Split peas, lentils, legumes, bee pollen, spirulina, and blue-green algae

Nuts and Seeds
Hemp, sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamia, pistachios, brazil, nut and seed butters such as almond or tahini

Oils
Cold-pressed olive, flax, safflower, sesame, almond, sunflower, walnut, pumpkin and coconut

Drinks 
Filtered water, green, white or herbal tea, seltzer or mineral water, yerba mate, coconut water, green juice

Sweeteners
Stevia, coconut nectar, yacon, lucuma, whole/fresh fruit, dried fruit (in moderation)

Condiments
Vinegar, all spices, all herbs, sea salt, black pepper, carob, raw chocolate (dairy and sugar free), stone-ground mustard, miso, coconut liquid aminos, wheat-free tamari and nama shoyu, unsweetened whole fruit jam


                                                            EXCLUDE
Fruits & Vegetables
Oranges, orange juice, grapefruit, bananas, strawberries, grapes, corn, creamed vegetables, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes)

Dairy Substitutes
Dairy and eggs: including milk, cheese, cottage cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream, non-dairy creamers, ghee

Non-Gluten Grains & Starch
White rice, wheat, corn, barley, spelt, kamut, rye, triticale, oats (even gluten free)

Animal Protein
Pork (bacon), beef, veal, sausage, cold cuts, canned meats, frankfurters (hot dogs),
shellfish, any raw meats and fish

Vegetable Protein
Soybean products (soy sauce, soybean oil in processed foods)

Nuts and Seeds
Peanuts and peanut butter

Oils
Butter, margarine, shortening, processed oils, canola oil, salad dressings, mayonnaise, spreads

Drinks
Alcohol, coffee, caffeinated beverages, soda pop, soft drinks, fruit juice (unless fresh pressed)

Sweeteners
maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, evapo- rated cane juice, Splenda®, Equal®, Sweet’N Low®, juice concentrate, agave nectar, brown rice syrup

Condiments
Regular chocolate (with dairy and sugar), ketchup, relish, chutney, traditional soy sauce, barbecue sauce, teriyaki, breath mints

No comments:

Post a Comment